Banana bread in a myriad of guises is the thing I bake most often at home. It’s my favourite. There is no equal. Rarely any substitute. Bananas pair with infinite ingredients, as long as you have a couple ripe and ready you can match it to your mood. I could write a book – ‘A Million Ways to Bread a Banana’. A day does not pass that the two do not collide and make a happy marriage in my daily diet. This version is my latest crush, a blend of sorghum and wholemeal flours, the top sprinkled with sesame seeds. Its destination is toast, tahini and honey applied liberally, as you would sunscreen to a child. If you’re lucky to have a third banana going spare, slice in half lengthways and nestle in a spoon configuration on top of the batter before baking. Want to make it plant based? Easy peasy, just use maple syrup in place of the honey and serve with almond or cocnut yogurt, extra maple or your favourite nut butter.
1 tbsp ground flaxseed
3 tbsp water
160g wholemeal flour
75g sorghum flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp mixed spice
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
75ml honey or maple syrup
60ml olive oil
120ml almond milk
1 tsp cider vinegar
2 medium bananas – ripe and well mashed
Sesame seeds for sprinkling on top
1. Pre-heat the oven to 175 degrees celsius and grease and line a 8 x 5 inch loaf pan with a little vegetable oil and greaseproof paper.
2. Mix the tablespoon of ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoons of water, set aside to gel.
3. Measure the almond milk into a jug and add the cider vinegar, set aside to sour.
4. Sift together the flours, raising agents and salt, add the spices and stir to evenly distribute.
5. Add the oil and maple syrup to the mashed bananas, mix, then add the gelled flaxseed and the soured almond milk. Stir to combine.
6. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix to combine, ensuring no pockets of flour remain. Tip the batter into the prepared tin and bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes. Test with a cake skewer to check it comes out clean to ensure it is fully baked.
7. Once baked remove from the oven and set on a cooling rack to cool.